How to mount USB drive in FreeBSD 5.0?

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Sun Sep 28 15:39:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 00:44, frank at franklee.net wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2003 2:36 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >>
> >> ughh..... well, it helps to plug it *all the way* in. :-( It's new
> >> and I didn't want break it...
> >>
> >> The message I get is:
> >> umass0: Cypress Semiconductor USB2.0 Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01,
> >> addr 2 umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
> >>
> >> The system just halts there...
>
> Let me clarify this statement. There's a On/Off switch on the drive.
> It's when I turn it (usb drive) off, the messages scroll (which I'd
> post if I could get them) and systems reboots. Happened twice. The
> third time, it says it got disconnected and the system continues to
> run fine.

You could try two things:
1) If that is a kernel panic (which I assume), it should tell you that
is going to reboot IFF you do not press a key on your keyboard. Pressing
a key should stop the reboot timer and give you time to copy the message
by hand.
2) What happens if you plug the drive in _after_ the system has started?

Dumbing down the drive should not be needed, as it can't (normally) do
any USB 2.x stuff over a USB 1.1 link (ie. it should dumb down itself)

--
Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn at gmx.net>