How to mount USB drive in FreeBSD 5.0?

Frank Lee frank at franklee.net
Sun Sep 28 14:12:50 PDT 2003

On Sunday 28 September 2003 20:57, Andreas Kohn wrote:
> It doesn't even look like your usb drive is plugged in? Even if umass
> hadn't accepted it, ugen should have had attached (outputting some
> messages)

ughh..... well, it helps to plug it *all the way* in. :-( It's new and I
didn't want break it...

The message I get is:
umass0: Cypress Semiconductor USB2.0 Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)

The system just halts there...

If I turn it (usb drive) off or unplug it, a bunch of other messages scroll up
and it tells me that it's going to reboot...

> [assuming that umass hat attached to the usb drive]
> There should be a new device node daX[sY] in /dev, which you should
> mount.
> mount -t msdos /dev/da0* /mnt/usb
>
> * Can't remember whether one needed to specify a slice

Since it stops at the "umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)" message,
there's no /dev/da0* :

# ls -l /dev/d*
crw-------  1 root  wheel  173,   0 Sep 29 05:41 /dev/devctl
#

Is there a way to have FreeBSD dumb it (usb drive) down to 1.1? The box says
it (usb drive) supports 1.1 and 2.0). My laptop is only 1.1.

Thank you for the help!