How to mount USB drive in FreeBSD 5.0?

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Sun Sep 28 12:46:32 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 06:27, Frank Lee wrote:
> Hi all. My first FreeBSD post. :-)
>
> I have a USB drive (Win95 formatted) that I'm trying to dd data off of.
>
> - FreeBSD 5.0-Release
> - USB 2.0/1.1 drive.
> - laptop is 1.1
>
> How do I mount this USB drive? I done it on 4.7 with MAKEDEV and all, but
> can't find any info on getting it to mount in 5.0 (no MAKEDEV and all).
>
> Thank you,
> Frank Lee

Hello,

add umass (and scbus + da) to your kernel configuration (if not there
already), and it should be autodetected. Mounting should work like in
4.7.

In FreeBSD 5, devfs makes MAKEDEV unneccessary.

If that still doesn't work, please post relevant messages to the list.

HTH,
--
Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn at gmx.net>