Install hang

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Sep 27 20:10:33 PDT 2003

Monty wrote:

> Just bought 4.6 stable w/security update disks (4 disk set)
> Have tried to install with no success.
> Kernel boots fine and have tried kernel params both auto and manual.
> Goes to "Probing Hardware(This may take awhile)" screen and ceases
> progress. I let it sit for 2 hours the last time with no results.

Well, check your hardware, since this is where it stops.
Bad RAM could cause this symptom, easily.  If you've
more than one chip, try each in turn.

Have you checked your setup against the "Supported
Hardware" list at www.freebsd.org?  This link might
get you there...I'm in the middle of 'portupgrade' at
the moment and my connection's so burdened I'm
not even sure this mail will go out... <!>

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/index.html

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.