mounting floppies as normal user

Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek FST777 at phreaker.net
Fri Sep 26 02:13:07 PDT 2003

OK, I feel like a total newbie again, but I can't figure this out...

I cannot get floppies to be mounted by normal users.

this is what I did:
$ su
# systctl vfs.usermount=1
# chmod 777 /dev/fd0
# chmod 777 /dev/fd0a
# exit
$ mount /dev/fd0a /mnt/flop
mount: /dev/fd0a: Operation not permitted

root mounts everything fine.

I know that there is a port wich make msdos-flops usable, but I do not want
that :) I use FreeBSD-formatted floppies also, and then there is this
backup-drive I do not mount at boottime but only when I need it... same
problem there.
The FreeBSD-FAQ tells me exactly (well, to some extend) what I did above....
Google also didn't help me out...

what the heck am I doing wrong?

I'm going to install a FreeBSD-system for a friend who is a regular
Window$-user but who wants something more stable. Somehow it feels kinda odd
to tell someone who only worked within GUI's that when he wants to use his
floppydrive or cdrom he has to open a xterm, type su and his password and
then to type mount_msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt/flop.... so I really would like to
make life more userfriendly for him :)

(please CC me, I'm not a member here)

--
tcGB <>< Fi-Ji ><>