Mirroring another machine w/ cvsup

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Thu Sep 25 07:45:53 PDT 2003

> Hi,
> I have 2 FBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p7 machines side-by-side on a home network,
> curly and larry.
> I want to mirror some directories from curly to larry with cvsup as an
> exercise and as a backup.
>
> The directories on curly I want to mirror are:
> /root, /seeds, and /etc.
>
> I have those working perfectly, now I want to add /usr/local/etc.
>
> I created the directory
> /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/usr/local/etc on curly.
> I created /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/usr/local/etc/etc.cvs and
> /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/usr/local/etc/releases.
>
> etc.cvs contains the lines:
> Upgrade usr/local/etc
> Rsymlink *
>
> Releases contains the line:
> Usr/local/etc list=etc.cvs prefix=/
>
> When I start cvsupd -b /usr/local/etc/cvsup -C 1 -l
> /dev/stdout, I get:
> # Listen failed: Port in use
>
> I checked the handbook section on cvsup, may have missed the
> answer, but
> no joy.
> Can anyone point me to my error?

I have some further info...
'Listen failed: Port in use' is no longer an issue, I changed the cvsupd
command to:
# cvsupd -l /dev/stdout
Which makes it serve 1 client and then exit.

The issue now is that I cannot update /usr/local/etc.
After re-reading man cvsupd, I have done the following on curly:

# rm -dr /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/usr
# cd /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup
# mkdir local
# cd local
# echo "local list=local prefix=/usr/local/etc" > releases
# echo "upgrade local" > local.cvs
# echo "rsymlink *" >> local.cvs

And on larry, I edited my /etc/mirror-supfile to include:
*default base=/disk2
*default release=local
Local

Now cvsupd runs successfully on curly, *but* it shows:
0Kin+0Kout local/local
And no files are transferred from curly /usr/local/etc to larry /disk2/

What am I doing wrong?