Default route dissapears constantly

Scott Schappell archon at silvertree.org
Wed Sep 24 15:45:07 PDT 2003

John Straiton wrote:

>Hello,
>	I'm having a doozy of a problem keeping a default route set up
>on a box I just upgraded today from 4.8-RC to 4.9-PR. After the upgrade,
>the machine will come up but quickly it will lose it's default route.
>The only way I can keep it from dropping the default route now is to
>continuously ping across it. If I stop for more than about 15 seconds,
>it'll get removed from the netstat -rn results.
>
>I don't mind researching possible means to fix it, but it's kinda hard
>when you have to hammer someone else's IP with pings to keep the link up
>or type "route add default xx.xxx.xxx.xx" every 15 seconds in order to
>surf... Are there any ways I can nail a route up without giving FreeBSD
>the ability to back it out automagically so I can fix this long enough
>to fix it the right way?
>
>Here's the relavent info:
>
>FreeBSD calefaction.clickcom.com 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE
>#2: Wed Sep 24 16:36:22 EDT 2003
>user at calefaction.clickcom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CALEFACTION  i386
>
>Default kernel except for "options QUOTA, options IPFILTER and options
>IPFILTER_LOG"
>
>rc.conf:
>network_interfaces="xl0 lo0 sis0"
>gateway_enable="YES"
>defaultrouter="209.198.22.1"
>firewall_type="OPEN"
>
>Ipfilter rules (for now)
>pass in all
>pass out all
>
>Ipnat rules (for now)
>map xl0 xx.xxx.xxx.0/24 -> 209.198.22.19/32
>
>Thanks in advance,
>John Straiton
>jks@ clickcom.com
>Clickcom, Inc
>704-365-9970x101

This has been discussed heavily in the -stable list.  It seems the arp
patch (incorporated into the world of 4.9, 4.8, et al) caused a loss of
default routes on some systems. It was just mentioned that there seems
to be an update addressing this issue.  To "fix" it, you may want to
roll back to 4.8 and wait for the fix for the arp advisory to be placed
into a patch and the source tree.

Cheers