Information needed

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Wed Sep 24 10:28:59 PDT 2003

> Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the information.  I planned on reading the documentation before
> actually downloading the image or installing it.  However, to prevent
> myself from downloading the wrong image, I thought I would ask the question
> and learn without having to experience doing it the wrong way first.
> Once again thanks, I will read the Handbook.

You need to either set your Email client to break lines at about 72 characters
or manually do it as you type by hitting ENTER(RETURN) at about that width
for each line (remember typewriters - probably not I suppose).   The long
single lines make it hard for people using text based Email clients to
read and especially to respond to your messages.

There are two ISO-s that you could start with.  I always use the
mini-ISO because I have a good (fast) internet connection and so
doing everything right from the net is easy.   The mini-ISO has
just the boot and installation programs.  It starts up, takes your
input for disk slicing and for kernel configuration (device driver
selection), how much of the ports tree you want (choose everything)
and where to read the rest of the installation.  You then choose one
of the ftp sites depending on your location and which seems to work
easiest and it downloads everything for the rest of the installation
from there.

But, if you have a slow net connection, then it might work better to
install from the CDs.   For that you can start with CD #1 from the
rest of the set.  Then when it asks, choose installation from CD
instead of from an ftp site.  I would then suggest buying the latest
set of CDs available from one of the places such as BSDmall that
burns sets and distributes them for a small cost.

Also, some people seem to feel more confident if they have the full CD
set to install from and can have it setting on the shelf.  Although I
have never had occasion to go back to an installation CD but rather
have gone to the next release any time I needed to reinstall (like a
for nuked HD).  Also, there is generally some lag time getting the
CD packages out after a new release so it is sooner to install over
the net.

And it is good that you intend to read up on stuff before you start
building stuff.    Lots of people don't and then have bad experiences
that are unnecessary.   Also, don't let those with big axes to grind
convince you to install a lot of ports you don't really need.  Start
with a basic system plus one of the simpler X managers like afterstep
and use that for a while before deciding to move on or add more.  You
may never want all the rest of that overbuilt stuff.

////jerry