A question about host...

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Wed Sep 24 09:11:39 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Armand Passelac" <apasselac at free.fr>
To: "Payne" <payne at magidesign.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: A question about host...

> [---- On Wed, 24 Sep, 2003 at  9:51, Payne wrote: ----]
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am wanting to use host.allow and host.deny to make my box more secure.
> > Is there a site that can explain how to use them.
>
> If I remember well :
>
> The lib libwrap.a corresponds to the famous name "tcp_wrappers".
> This lib is designed to secure the access of some network services :
xinetd,sshd,portmap, ...

> Syntax of hosts_access files :
> service:host
>
> examples :
> # Manage ALL tcp_wrapped services for the source address 192.168.1.2
> ALL: 192.168.1.2
> # Manage the pop3 service for the source address corresponding to the name
my.computer.fr
> pop3d: my.computer.fr
>
> You can specify multiple services with the comma (pop3d, in.telnetd)
> There is also the tag EXCEPT to specify an exception :
> ALL: EXCEPT 173.22.7.9
>
> Order of reading :
> The tcp_wrapped network service will read before the hosts.allow and AFTRE
the hosts.deny.
> The current  advice is to put the ALL:ALL in the hosts.deny
>

> I hope it will help you.

Unless things have changed in the 5.x series, libwrap is integrated into
inetd now (-w -W flags apply). Also, there is no need for a hosts.deny file
as hosts.allow contains both allow and deny entries now. Just have the
all:all:deny at the very bottom of hosts.allow.  The default hosts.allow
file gives examples of how to use the file for access control to various
daemons / services.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.