Kern.timecounter.hardware issues

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Sep 24 04:52:34 PDT 2003

Hi,
The following appeared in my daily security run output:

curly.howse.no-ip.org kernel log messages:
> Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 300683473 Hz

I have a Celeron 300 CPU, if that matters.

A quick Google for 'Timecounter "TSC"  frequency' led me to believe that
I should change the hardware timecounter to i8254 with:

sysctl -w kern.timecounter.hardware=i8254

I did that, rebooted, and ran sysctl -a again, only to see that
kern.timecounter.hardware had reverted to TSC.

I have both i8254 and TSC showing in dmesg.

Should I make the change permanent across reboots, and if so, how?

BTW, are any of you getting the same messages from this list over and
over again?
I am, I wonder what's going on?

Thanks,
Charles

Got a computer with idle CPU time?
Join SETI at home and help make history!
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/