mod_auth_pam/apache2

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Wed Sep 24 03:21:15 PDT 2003

Which module are you using ? From where ? (www.apache.org/~dirkx/ORA/..)

> auth    required        pam_unix.so     service=system-auth debug
> [Tue Sep 23 18:00:25 2003] [error] [client ***.***.***.***] PAM: user
> 'john' - n
> ot authenticated: Authentication failure

I notice you have a service= there - this may be the service name. I know
that the module I did for the ORA conf uses 'httpd' as the pam service
name.

> What I don't understand is why, if something like sshd can work fine with
> PAM, httpd doesn't let me authenticate.  Has anyone ever gotten this
> working?

Yes :-) But depending on how/what module you use you may also need to do a
AuthGROUP_Enabled yes as to use getgrnam() et.al. to do unix user
checking. Your config likely uses the GroupFile rather than unix groups.

Dw.