Ports woes.

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Sep 22 21:26:48 PDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 08:45 pm, cuddlesomebunny wrote:
> Could anybody explain to me what is up with ports?
>
> I am using FreeBSD 5.x-p2 and I am using ports and am having one hell
> of a time installing things.
>
> Here's what is happeng.
>
> I go to install ports and if it needs to get a dependency it goes and
> fetches it and becomes the usual compile process. Except that the
> dependency might already be installed with the exact version required
> and so most of the time the ports error out telling me I need to make
> deinstall on some dependency then make reinstall on it.
>
> And don't even get me started on installing Apache. I tried
> installing mod_php4 but before hand installed apache+ssl and so then
> mod_php4 doesn't even see that apache is already installed and then
> fetches the version it wants thus blowing out the apache+ssl and I
> have to then reinstall that package to get ssl and apache.
>
> If I do things with /stand/sysinstall it errors out on a dependency
> if it is already installed instead of ignoring the fact that it is
> already there and errors out. This particular behavour started around
> 4.8 or so. Maybe earlier but I don't seem to recall exactly when this
> started to happen.
>
> I tried using the portupgrade stuffs but that just seems to make
> things worse overall.
>
> Anybody got any hints as to why it seems ports is having these sorts
> of problems?

I don't have any idea what you problem is; however, there is an ongoing
discussion on -current with people having port problems. What I
remember is that the freeze has them locked and they can't patch the
ports to build and install on -current until the port freeze is over.
You might be caught by this problem or something entirely different.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA