Cvsup refuse confusion

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Sep 22 10:32:53 PDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 10:07 am, Charles Howse wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

> > > Check for the existence of the folder /usr/sup.  If it exists,
> > > move your refuse file to it.
> > >
> > > Also, should you be refusing to update ports/INDEX? I refuse the
> > > non-English ports; but my refuse file does not include
> > > ports/INDEX.
> >
> > Yes, because you are supposed to rebuild INDEX after every cvsup of
> > ports-all. If you pick and choose the port collection, you will
> > probably break "make index" and then the upate tools won't
> > work as you
> > would expect. Since you are going to rebuild INDEX or INDEX-5 after
> > each cvsup, refusing it prevents cvsup from redownloading it.
> > It takes
> > several minutes to download even across a 100Mbps networkd.
> >
> > If you use portupgrade, you also have to run "portsdb -u" after you
> > create and updated INDEX.
>
> OK, the OP is getting confused.  ;-)
> I have moved my refuse file to /usr/sup/refuse
> I have deleted the directories in /usr/ports and /usr/share/doc that
> I don't want.
> I will cvsup when we get this straightened out in my mind.
>
> Dr. Seaman says run 'make index' *OR* portsdb -Uu after cvsup.
> Kent says run 'portsdb -u' *AFTER* make index.
>
> What is our consensus?

You don't do a "make index" and a "portsdb -uU". You only need to run
"portsdb -u" after a make index.

They do the same thing; however, Kris has a script that writes a bitch
message to -ports when "make index" fails. There isn't anything
comparable for portsdb -U. In addition, portsdb -U has always produced
a large number of error messages that I don't see with "make index".

I have also found that you typically get a slightly larger port count on
the "portsdb -u" when you run "make index".

FWIW, I run portsdb -U when "make index" fails. I think they are both
tools that meet slightly different needs. I think "portsdb -U" handles
an incomplete /usr/ports and "make index" doesn't.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA