External modem suddenly not working (USR V.Everything)

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Sun Sep 21 23:52:59 PDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, C. Ulrich wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 23:37, Travis Troyer wrote:
> > I have a US Robotics V.Everything external modem connected to
> > my system running FreeBSD 5.1 stable.  I got my ppp.conf and
> > ppp.linkup files setup properly, and was able to dial-up to
> > my provider many times.  I was connected when I accidentally
> > knocked the power supply out of the wall socket, and lost my
> > connection.  I plugged it back in, turned it off and back on,
> > and tried to connect, without success.  So, I rebooted, with
> > no success.  I tried shutting down both the modem and the
> > system and cold-booting; still no go.  The modem connects
> > fine under Windows (dual-boot), but refuses to even dial in
> > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Travis Troyer
>
> See what happens when you try to interact with the modem manually with
> an old-fashioned serial terminal program like kermit or minicom. You'll
> have to figure out how to use the program first, but once you do, the
> following commands might help troubleshoot the problem:
>
> ATZ : Reset the modem
> ATDTxxxxxxx : Dial phone number xxxxxxx
> ATH0 : Hang up the modem
>
> Look around on the net for an AT command reference for more information
> on these.
>
> Oh, and I assume this is a _serial_ external modem and not USB? If it's
> USB there may be some further trickery involved.
>
> C. Ulrich

	Actually, the manual is built into the modem...  He should check
the following:

ATI4
ATI5
ATI7

and then try this:

AT%$
AT$
AT&$

	The last three is the AT command set.  But post the output from
ATI4, ATI5, ATI7 so that we can help you out.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin