soundcard stopping?

Nicholas Holley nickpub at imap.cc
Sun Sep 21 22:03:46 PDT 2003

I'm running an up to date version of Freebsd 5.1, and I'm having
problems with my soundcard. I have an Asus a7n8x deluxe. The kernel has
pcm support compiled in and the sound card works mostly, but
occasionally the soundcard will not work properly.

For example:

    - xmms will be playing fine for an hour and then stop with the
            generic error about the soundcard being unavailable
    - I'll pause mplayer and unpause it only to have it crash due to the
       soundcard being unavailable
    - snes9x will stop playing the sound after a short amount of
            playtime

Most of the time, I see an error along the lines of an "illegal error".
With mplayer and xmms, usually a couple of tries and the sound will work
again. "fstat | grep dsp" will never output anything when the sound
isn't working so I don't think anything else is blocking the soundcard
plus I have 4 virtual channels set up so that shouldn't be possible anyway.

The problem is hard to cause or predict so I can't really provide more
specific situations, but I'm hoping that this has happened to someone
else before.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Has anyone seen anything about possible support of >2 channels on
this board or support of the nvidia nic?