How DBA solved overload problem ?

Anthony Schneider anthony at x-anthony.com
Sun Sep 21 18:48:50 PDT 2003

one of the first things to look for in database performance tuning
is the existence (or nonexistence) of indexes (for SELECTs, that is).
 they are perhaps the "#1 most used" optimization for relational
databases.

if you can, i would suggest first tracking down the query text itself.
sybase and oracle have mechanisms for logging full query text (oracle
to a file, sybase to the sybsecurity database in sysaudits_0x tables),
mysql and postgresql most likely have the same features.  if not, it
would be a trivial task to have query text logged to a file.  next,
i would determine if there are indeed indexes on the tables in the
query.  if there are none, try adding some. if there are some, then
try adding more. :)  (without getting into too much detail, try
adding indexes on columns that are commonly joined on or restricted
on...primary keys for tables is also nice).

-Anthony.