Spam and virus filter for mailserver

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Sun Sep 21 03:58:14 PDT 2003

Hi!

We have the following situation and don't know what to do:

I have one POP3 account with alias adresses for the network clients, and every
client configured the mailer not to get mail destined for the other clients.
Now we get so much spam and viruses, and I decided to set up a mail server,
recieve the mail for all the clients, and the clients get their mail from my
mail server, keeping their current mail adresses.

The clients run M$ Winblows eXPensive, so I need an antivirus program that
runs on FreeBSD (should be free). Can anyone recommend a good mail reader
that can fetch mail as a daemon, stores mail in a format readable by KMail or
Evolution, and has a console interface (I don't run X often)? It should also
be somehow able to put the mail in different folders based on the value of
some headers.

And what mail server should I use? It should be secure and not use up many
resources (security has the highest priority).

Is this stuff possible at all? Please help us.
Thanks in advance.

Daniela