Samba over SSH

sebastian ssmoller sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net
Sat Sep 20 06:37:39 PDT 2003

> I am using FreeBSD 4.8 and Samba 2.2.8 as the server, I would like to use any
> windows operating system for the client side, but probably XP.
> (I want to map the samba share to the windows box)

so one idea could be to start three ssh tunnels from client side. which
command line u may wonna do something like this:

$ ssh -L 137:localhost:137 -N -f user at sambaserver.urdomain.org
$ ssh -L 138:localhost:138 -N -f user at sambaserver.urdomain.org
$ ssh -L 139:localhost:139 -N -f user at sambaserver.urdomain.org

(putty should be able to do something similar. but i guess u will need
some scripting so that these ssh commands will be executed on startup of
the client systems or at least before the shares will be mounted of
course.)

now u should be able to connect ur clients to any share on server side
with "\\localhost\share-name"

i am not familiar with VPN. possibly its a better solution (?)

seb