FreeBSD Installation on AlphaStation 200 4/233

Danny onegative at valornet.com
Fri Sep 19 07:46:03 PDT 2003

I am still floundering with regard to installing FreeBSD on my AlphaStation
200 4/233 box.  I am at a complete loss of what to try next.  I have
attempted installations from both floppy and CDROM.  Have have attempted
multiple set command on different variables on the alpha bios but nothing
works.

The system boots the CDROM, gets past the switching to the OSF PAL succeeded

FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 1.2
/boot/kernel/kernel data=0x4cd740+0x63ca0 syms=[0x0+0x65550+0x8+0x4d8a3]
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Entering kernel @ 0xfffffc000033f0e0

screen flickers and shifts one character left and wraps the left characters
onto the right side of the screen, then

halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
Halt instruction executed
PC=fffffc0000650e20

CPU 0 booting

Then the system goes through this same displeasing cycle again and again and
again.  It's driving me nuts.....Does anyone have any kind of a suggestion
to help me determine the problem?

Danny