kernel compile error: unknown option "USER_LDT"

Barry C.Hawkins ly5t5 at allthingscomputed.com
Fri Sep 19 14:04:08 PDT 2003

List,
	I am trying to build a kernel using a copy of GENERIC for RELENG_5_1.
I have CVSuped by source tree prior to copying /usr/src/conf/GENERIC.
I initially disabled the all RAID devices, so I started with a fresh
copy of GENERIC.  That was recommended once in the list archives for
what seemed a similar scenario.  However the error message persists.
Here are my extra lines at the bottom of my kernel config file, in all
other ways it is an unmodified copy of GENERIC:

	# Added for sound and Java
	device          pcm             # enable SoundBlaster PCI support
	options         USER_LDT        # used by Java and nVidia
	options         CPU_ENABLE_SSE  # used by DVD

	When I run the following as root:

/usr/sbin/config GENERIC_SND

I receive the following message:

GENERIC_SND: unknown option "USER_LDT"

	The kernel config file resides in ~/kernels/, and I have a symlink in
/usr/src/conf bearing the name GENERIC_SND.  This is a Dell OptiPlex
200 with a PIII 733 MHz and 256MB RAM.  Any ideas?  The pupil sits,
awaiting enlightenment...

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins