modem on serial port?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Fri Sep 19 12:53:37 PDT 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 12:35 pm, Sean Hafeez wrote:
> i am using a freebsd box as a router. it has a serial port. i would
> like to hook up a modem and use it to manage the router if the lines go
> down. now i know you can use the serial port as a console but how about
> when i stick a modem on it. does anything change. anything i need to
> install?
>
> thanks!

If the serial port is sio0 (COM1) or sio1 (COM2), you won't need to do
anything.

If it's sio2 or sio3, you'll need to enable those serial ports in the kernel.
In FreeBSD 4.*, it's an easy adjustment to the kernel configuration file --
just find the sio lines and delete the word "disable".  In FreeBSD 5.*, it's
different; and we'll both have to wait for someone else to chime in!

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould