Is FreeBSD up to this job?

Jeremy D. Pavleck judge at Pavleck.Com
Fri Sep 19 12:35:19 PDT 2003

I'm beginning to agree it is now overspec'ed. But only because I'm
thinking now (thanks to input from you folks) about making a marketable
version instead of one for my own pool hall.
When I say jukebox, I mean ones like these:
http://www.gameroomantiques.com/CDjukebox.htm
http://www.wurlitzer-jukebox.com/showroom-omt.html

Big showy pieces of eyecandy. A gorgeous hunk fof aluminum, with lights
and bubblers, etc etc. My original thoughts where definately overkill, but
it was for my own amusement, so it didn't really matter, ya know? Know I'm
thinking of making something I can mass produce down the line.

I had some time to reflect on the design, and my main problem I was facing
was the visualizations of music. Initially I thought I'd need a fairly
high output video card to be able to properly display the vis. in close to
real time. My current rig @ 1024x768 with a Radeon 8000 can only run the
Winamp vis full screen at 40fps with a noticeable delay in the music beats
and the vis interpretation on the screen. Drop the window to a size where
it hits 70fps or so and the music and vis stay in tune, so I figured a
more powerful vid card was the answer.
But I forgot that a standard TV resolution is only 640x480, so I should be
able to get away with a lot less then top of the line.
I'm going to try to test all this by using the 1Ghz Nehemiah Mini-ITX
board ( http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p243 ) with 256mb
ram.
Install a RAID card and setup 1 20Gb drive RAID 1 array and 1 100Gb RAID 1
array. 20Gb raid for FBSD and the 100GB RAID for media files.
Then pick up the bill validator, buttons and what not and see if I can't
make it work sans enclosure, which will save me a ton of cash.
Someone suggested trying Freevo, so I'll see if I can't hack the interface
of it to see if I can achieve what I want. If I was more of an artist I
could mockup the overall look of the display I'm going for, but I'm not
(I'll see if a friend of mine can tackle this part).
Instead of worrying about making it idiot proof by using a lot of diffrent
hardware like CFlash and such, I'll just use a small UPS that you can pick
up for 30-40$ these days and just have it tell the system to do a clean
shutdown when power is interupted.

Jeremy D. Pavleck
jeremy at pavleck.com

Tired of PayPal? Me too.
Check out StormPay, it works the same way, with 110% less
anal-retentiveness!
http://www.stormpay.com/?193662 (Just my referral link, please
help me earn a few cents :))