"make: permission denied" error when doing "make installworld"

Mike Tibor tibor at tibor.org
Fri Sep 19 09:00:45 PDT 2003

On 19 Sep 2003, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Mike Tibor <tibor at tibor.org> writes:
>
> > I'm trying update one of my servers, and can't get past a "make:
> > permission denied" error when doing a "make instalworld" as root in single
> > user mode.  My sequence was this:
> >
> > cvsup
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel
> > make installkernel
> > shutdown now   (go to single user mode)
>
> That should be "shutdown -r now".  You want to reboot into the new
> kernel.  [This explains the problem, I think, because you're probably
> still running at a raised security level, even though you're in
> single-user mode.]
>
> > make installworld
> >
> > I'm I missing something?  I've run into this once before on another
> > server, and just did a binary upgrade to get around it.  The thing is,
> > I've successfully upgraded along the -STABLE tree via this method
> > countless times.
> >
> > / is mounted rw, and /usr/bin/make is executable.
>
> I suspect the "permission denied" errors are caused by
> system-immutable flags, not by file permissions.

Thanks for the reply Lowell.  I actually just found the problem that was
causing this just yesterday--when I built this box I'd set up a separate
filesystem for /tmp and had mounted it with various options including
noexec.  After I rebooted into the new kernel, I did a make installworld
without /tmp being mounted, and it worked just fine.  The trick is going
to be to remember this the next time.  ;-)

Thanks again,
Mike