decompressing source

Andrey Simonenko simon at comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Fri Sep 19 01:59:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:37:46 +0000 (UTC) in lucky.freebsd.questions, Alain Dazzi wrote:
> Just a basic question, what unix command should I use to decompress
> (expand) the various
> data files after downloading the sources via ftp.  For instance ssys.aa
> -> ssys.ak should get expanded
> into sys.

You should use a pipe of cat and tar commands.  There are install.sh
scripts, which know how to install files from the distribution.

>From the src/install.sh script:

if [ "$1" = "all" ]; then
	dists="base bin contrib etc games gnu include lib libexec release sbin share sys tools ubin usbin"
else
	dists="$*"
fi

echo "Extracting sources into ${DESTDIR}/usr/src..."
for i in $dists; do
	echo "  Extracting source component: $i"
	cat s${i}.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C ${DESTDIR}/usr/src
done