mysql error and phpmyadmin how-to

Barry Hawkins barryhawkins at mac.com
Thu Sep 18 18:41:58 PDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 23:57 US/Eastern, Shawn Guillemette wrote:

>  get the following error when trying to log in to mysql as root like
> so ..
>
> # mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password:
> YES)
>
> I'm issuing this command as root.
>

> Also as root I have attempted to change the passwd..
>

> # mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>

> mysql version --> mysql-server-3.23.55 Multithreaded SQL database
> (server)
>

> Also Looking for a good how-to on phpmyadmin..
>
>     I installed from the ports collection (phpMyAdmin-2.3.2) Just not
> sure what direction to head in now..
>

> Thanks for your time..
>
> Shawn

Shawn,
	The user named root in MySQL is completely separate from your root
user for your BSD installation.  It initially has no password, so
"mysql -u root" without the -p should work for you.  I have always
installed from source code builds, so I am not sure as to whether or
not the port does this for you.  Have you run the mysql_install_db
script to initialize the databases in MySQL?  If not, you could
potentially be seeing a situation where the permission tables for the
daemon are not available, so you are being rejected out-of-hand.  I
would try the "mysql -u root" first, if you have run the script (or if
the port runs the script for you; regrettably I do not know if it does).

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed