Hurricane Izzy killed my HD, fsck can't fix

Eric Thornton ewthorn2 at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Sep 18 18:41:47 PDT 2003

Ok, I was at work and forgot to kill my home fileserver running 5.1-current before i left this morning. I returned from work this afternoon in some nasty weather to find the power out. When it came back on this evening (amazing for local power company), fsck will not clean the filesystem. Even abandoning all lost inodes and errors results in the message "Filesystem not clean. please rerun fsck". So i've rerun it about 6 times and can't clear the softupdate errors. before i newfs the disk, any ideas? I've been running several FBSD computers for 4 years now, and havent run into a filesystem problem like this before. Thanks for any help.

Eric