svgalib program is setuid root but still can't seem to allocate graphics console

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Sep 18 12:02:22 PDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:00:25 -0700
Chris Pressey <cpressey at catseye.mine.nu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write some code that uses /usr/ports/graphics/svgalib.
> I've started off with the first example program on:
>
>   http://www.svgalib.org/jay/beginners_guide/beginners_guide.html
>
> As root, I can compile and run it fine, and I get the message:
>
>   [svgalib: allocated virtual console #10]
>
> And if I try to run it as a normal user, I get:
>
>   svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.
>
> This is expected, because the program is not setuid root.  So as root
> I chmod u+s it, but then when I run it as a normal user I get:
>
>   You must be the owner of the current console to use svgalib.
>   Not running in a graphics capable console,
>   and unable to find one.
>   Using RAGE driver, 8192KB.   ChipID:35 MemType:6
>   Rage: BIOS reports base frequency=28.636MHz  Denominator= 31
>   svgalib 1.4.3
>   You must be the owner of the current console to use svgalib.
>   Not running in a graphics capable console,
>   and unable to find one.
>   Not running in a graphics capable console,
>   and unable to find one.
>
> This is on ttyv0, btw.  I'm running X on ttyv9.

Followup: this is happening not just with my own program, but with
programs in the ports tree like /usr/ports/graphics/acidwarp and
/usr/ports/graphics/seejpeg, on both of my FreeBSD machines:

FreeBSD foo 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Aug 28
11:26:32 CDT 2003     root at foo:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FOO  i386

FreeBSD bar 4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #3: Tue Sep  9
11:35:09 CDT 2003     root at bar:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BAR  i386

Both machines contain this in their dmesg:

vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on
isa0

But in short this doesn't feel like a video problem, it feels like a
setuid-bit/svgalib/both problem.

Is anyone else experiencing these sorts of problems?  Was there some
recent STABLE change regarding setuid/svgalib that I missed?

-Chris