Ideas To Save Failing System?

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Sep 18 11:06:02 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lowell Gilbert" <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net>
Cc: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: Ideas To Save Failing System?

> "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net> writes:
>
> > Is there anything I can do to save this machine?  I'm afraid if I
power it
> > off, the disk will be corrupt and it probably won't boot.  I'd
really like
> > to make a backup and then replace the disk.  Any ideas?
>
> If you *don't* power it down, you should *still* be afraid that disk
> will be corrupt and it won't boot.

I was but wanted to get what I could.

> If it's networked, try backing up using that.

I thought about that too but no commands were working.

> It's possible that you'll have more success reading the disk if you
> take it out and put it in another machine (using a different drive
> cable, just to be sure), but not likely.

While I was trying various things, the power went out.  I thought I was
in trouble but fortunately the system came back up without error and
hasn't had an error since.  I have to wonder what might really be
corrupt but everything is working. I guess so far I got lucky!  :)

Thanks,

Drew