how to enable auto power off

jason jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Sep 17 20:48:43 PDT 2003

Tadimeti Keshav wrote:

>Guys,
>I have a D815EPEA intel based motherboard. My
>dual-boot Redhat 9.0 setup can automatically shutdown
>and power off. But freeBSD can't do that (yet).
>
>Are there any flags I need to set in rc.conf or what
>do I need to set to recompile the kernel?
>I use freeBSD 4.5.
>THanks

This was a recent question, the answer was shutdown -p now.  If acpi if
off it may now automatically power off.
Check /boot/loader.conf for hint.acpi...., if this is set comment it out
and it will work. The reason it was commented out on new installs was
acpi was broken on some boards with 5.0 and newer.