Wireless S-L-O-W Samba Domain Logon...

RA Cohen roy2098 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 09:59:56 PDT 2003

Don't know if this is the right maillist for this but --

We have two satellite school buildings linked to a central
"hub." I have recently replaced the last Microsoft server with a
freebsd box running Samba and acting as PDC. The two satellite
buildings are linked with dedicated T1 circuits and the Samba
server is in the hub building. Everything works so far...

I needed to extend the reach of the wiring in one of the
buildings and installed an SMC inexpensive router/access point
running the latest and greatest 802.11G. The wireless cards
installed in several desktops are also SMC and 802.11G
compliant. The desktops were joined to the Samba domain and are
running Window 2000 Professional. Everything works but the
domain logins are so slow as to be almost unuseable. Once
logged-in, the connection is fast and snappy, almost
indistinguishable from the wired connections in the same
building. What could be going on?? Yes there is the download
time for the roaming profile but that in itself can't explain
10-15 minute login waits...

I will probably post this question on the Samba list as well,
forgive me if it is misplaced here, but freebsd folks are pretty
bright as a rule maybe you have some ideas (Samba is running on
FreeBSD v 4.8 Release soon-to-be-upgraded-to-stable).

Thanks in advance!