Boot timeout?

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Sep 16 12:49:24 PDT 2003

> > Now the system hangs for about 20 seconds at the BIOS drive
> detection,
> > and at the FBSD atapi controller detection.
>
> Are you using ATAPICAM?  If so, it's probably the SCSI settling.
> That's adjustable in the kernel configuration.

The string 'atapicam' does not appear in my
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/CUSTOM customized kernel config file.  Is that
what you meant?  I did find that string in LINT, but I'm not using it.

I may have misled you in my post.  What I should have said is, the
system hangs for about 20 seconds at the BIOS drive detection, and then
there is another 20 second delay when FBSD is detecting devices, *after*
it displays the line about finding the atapi controller.  It displays
that line concerning the atapi controller, issues 2 cr/lf and pauses for
that 20 seconds.  It then continues to load without error, all devices
are detected properly and I can read and write to them.

I really think this delay may be more related to hardware than software.
I just booted the system to an MS-DOS diskette, and the delay is still
there.  I have no special settings in BIOS.

BTW: I've also posted this to alt.comp.hardware.  No joy yet.