Rebuilding the Kernel

Mark Luxton markluxton at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 11:29:34 PDT 2003

Hi all,

So I can get it right in my head (no theres a challenge).  The correct steps
for building a custom kernel is:

   1) update sources
7) rm -rf /usr/obj/*
   2) make buildworld
   3) edit kernel config file
   4) make buildkernel
   5) make installkernel
   6) reboot
   8) make installworld
   9) mergemaster

----Original Message Follows----

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:55:09AM +0200, Danny Pansters wrote:
<snip>
 > > Not sure about your specific error, but it doesn't appear that you
 > > are following the directions in the correct order.  I think it should
 > > look more like:
 > >
 > > 1) update sources
 > > 2) make buildworld
 > > 3) edit kernel config file
 > > 4) make buildkernel
 > > 5) make installkernel
 > > 6) reboot
 > > 7) rm -rf /usr/obj/*
 > > 8) make installworld
 > > 9) mergemaster
 > >
 > > I've left out some intervening steps, but I think that this is more
 > > the correct order of operations.
 > >
 > > Nathan
 >
 > rm -rf /usr/obj/* before buildworld not after. Your new world is in
 > there :)
 >
 > Dan

yes!, thanks Dan.  i jotted down the steps to quickly and put step 7 way
out of order.  thanks for pointing this out.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49
<< attach3 >>