linking a dir

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Tue Sep 16 09:26:28 PDT 2003

Hello Mike,

Tuesday, September 16, 2003, 11:04:55 AM, you wrote:

MM> Deleteing unused kernels would be a good start.  What is the size of your /
MM> partition?

dev/ad0s1a    128990   86254   32418    73%    /

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  4122347 Apr  3 04:53 kernel.GENERIC

I don't know which kernel is being used... Deleting one would surely help.

MM> Add most puzzling of all, why do you have logs in /etc? There should
MM> be very little write activity on /, so the possiblilty of it filling
MM> up shouldn't be much of a concern.

Good question. This is a production Mail / DNS server (using qmail and
djbdns), so I have logs in /etc (by the default run script) minimally at
100K each x10 (before they rotate out) for each of SMTP, SEND, another
SMTP, axfrdns, tinydns, dnscache, 2 rbls, and maybe one more... the SMTP
and SEND logs are at 250k each of 10... so you see how this can add up...

I am hoping that I will have seen just about the end of the bloating /
dir, but was concerned enough to write about it...  I should have planned
the layout better.

--
Best regards,
 Gary