My jail can not ssh..

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Tue Sep 16 01:18:32 PDT 2003

--On Tuesday, September 16, 2003 09:07:15 +0100 Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 04:16:31AM +0800, maillist bsd wrote:
>
>> I am just testing jail on my FreeBSD4.8-stable box, i found i can not
>> ssh to the jail environment, but i can telnet to jail environment, the
>> sshd is running both inside and outside jail.  What's the problem.
>
> I suspect that your problem is that the sshd(8) in your host and jail
> environments are both binding to IN_ADDR_ANY.  That means both daemons
> are fighting over the loopback interface (at least).

Another subtle thing that can cause problem is if the jailed SSH
can't do DNS resolution.  Telnet in and run your favorite DNS
query app (host, dnsip, dig, nslookup, etc.).  If it fails, check
resolv.conf in the jail; and check the access controls on your
name server

If that isn't it, lsof is your friend.  Install it on the host system
and try something like 'lsof -i :ssh' to see what processes are listening
at what addresses.

-Pat