How to get an X server system to send XDMCP?

Vlad D. Markov markov at monmouth.com
Mon Sep 15 18:55:35 PDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> wrote:

> I need to make an X server act as an X-terminal
> and run the chooser, offering up a set of
> systems to log into at initial powerup.
>
> I am sure I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can see
> from teh current docs how to do this again..
>
> I can make the other end.. a system that offers xdm service..
> without too much problem, but I can't see how to make an xdm
> start teh X server and then get that xdm on the far system to
> offer service, put up a menu of systems (the chooser) and then
> select one of them as the base login system.

This should be in the handbook or something. Here goes:

What I do is an indirect query on the host:
	$x :1 -depth 16 vt10 -indirect $(hostname)&
where $x evaluates to: x=/usr/X11R6/bin/X
The ":1" is display 1, I run a regular xdm logon on :0.
I run this one on virtual terminal 10, vt9 is where I run the regular
xdm login to this machine. X will run on the first unassigned virtual
terminal unless you direct it to another.

I do this in a file named xdm.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, I do not run
xdm from rc.conf.

The xdm configuration files have to be modified.

In Xservers comment out the line-> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

In xdm-config, follow the directions:
! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

Next is Xaccess, it looks like what I have here is:
*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a
chooser

I think that ought to do it, I mess this up for a long time everytime I
switch OSes. I can't remeber either.

There are many other nice to change settings in these files.