Debugging kernel panics

Michael Reynolds wshs at delinked.us
Mon Sep 15 17:13:14 PDT 2003

I've recently cvsup'd from 4.8-STABLE to 4.9-PRERELEASE.  After a
reboot, my machine's kernel panics at the initialization of the xl1
device (a 3com nic).  I've checked out the FAQ on the site, under
advanced topics, regarding kernel panics, and read the relevant man
pages.  I have 2 swap partitions, ad0s1b, and ad2s1b.  I have set
dumpdev to "ad2s1b" in /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf.  I've also
built a debug kernel.  However, it appears a kernel core is not being
dumped on panic.  I've manually executed savecore, with force option,
and it wrote a 0 byte vmcore.  Is there anywhere else I need to specify
the dump device?  Do I need to specify the full path instead of just the
device?  I've not had a kernel panic before, so I'm pretty much a newbie
when it comes to that aspect.  I have no custom code added to the
kernel.  Any help will be *greatly* appreciated.

-Mike