Boot timeout?

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Mon Sep 15 08:53:40 PDT 2003

Hi,
I have 2 HDD (8GB & 2GB) and 1 CDROM on my FBSD box.

Before I installed this last time, I had the 2GB drive as the master on
the primary controller, and the 8GB drive as the master on the secondary
controller, with the CD as the slave on the secondary controller.  The
system went through the BIOS drive detection quickly, and FBSD booted
quickly.

Now I have the 8GB drive as the master on the primary drive, the CD as
the master on the secondary controller, and the 2GB drive as the slave
on the secondary controller.

/etc/fstab shows:
Ado - master drive on primary IDE controller - the 8GB
Ad3 - slave drive on secondary IDE controller - the 2GB
Acd0 - CDROM master drive on secondary IDE controller.

Now the system hangs for about 20 seconds at the BIOS drive detection,
and at the FBSD atapi controller detection.

I believe this might be due to a timeout of some sort involving the
CDROM, since it is the master drive on the secondary controller.

I realize that I could just change the jumpers, boot to a floppy, and
see if the timeout goes away, but I was wondering if anyone had any
input on whether or not my assumption about the timeout is correct.

If I *do* decide to make the 2GB drive the master on the secondary
controller, and the CD the slave on the secondary controller, isn't it
correct that FBSD will detect it as ad2, and the CD as acd1?  That
sounds like it might not be able to mount the 2GB drive.  Any opinions?

Thanks,
Charles

Got a computer with idle CPU time?
Join SETI at home and help make history!
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/