486SX, 100MB HDD - need FreeBSD, how?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.no-ip.com
Mon Sep 15 06:10:50 PDT 2003

"Alex Zivenko" <twistfire at rambler.ru> writes:

> How to install freebsd on this machine? (Intel486SX-25Mhz, 8 Mb Memory, 100Mb HDD). There isn't cdrom.
> Maby I can setup it from other system, the recompile kernel for that processor, or what?
> Without x, witout any cool programs.
> I just need to do it log-server.

That's going to be *very* tight with any recent FreeBSD release.
You will need at least *one* bootable device besides the hard drive in
order to get the install going.
You will need to do an absolute minimum installation, and *maybe* add
a few things afterwards.

You may find that picobsd is the best approach, though...
http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/picobsd.html