Partitioning advice (/usr and /home)

Guilmot Mike malenki at pandora.be
Mon Sep 15 04:15:47 PDT 2003

Michael Vondung wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a decent partitioning layout for a
> workstation. The system has an ~80GB disk. After /, /var, /tmp and
> swap, I have 70GB left. I'm wondering how to split these between /usr
> and /home. Ironically, it is more space than I seem to need. The box
> has only one user (me), I do not have a fast enough connection to
> download large amounts audio or video files. I plan to run the KDE3
> desktop environment with most of its applications (this is still well
> under 1.5GB), assorted other software, Wine, two or three Windows
> apps if they'll run.
>
> I'm torn between various options here, and would appreciate your
> input:
>
> 35GB for each, /usr and /home
> 25GB for /home and 45GB for /home
> 70GB for both together (no /home partition)
>
> Or something completely different? I'd like this to be "spacey"
> enough so that I won't run out of room at some point in the future,
> but 35GB for /usr seems unrealistically much (there won't be mail on
> this system, it's fed by an IMAP server on a different machine). Then
> again, 35GB for /home seems just as unrealistically much.
>
> Backup matters aside, is there a significant advantage of having a
> separate /home partition at all? If not, just skipping /home and
> using 70GB for /usr (including /usr/home) might be the most practical
> and flexible approach?
>
> Thanks.

This might sound stupid, but I did it like this:

Whole partition on /usr, and I made the home directories as:

/usr/home/$USER instead of /home/$USER

And I did not make a special partition for /usr/home, since I did not know
how much space I would need.
Maybe you could try that out too ...

Kind regards,

Guilmot Mike