mergemaster: "schg" flag for temproot/var/emtpy ??

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 15:24:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 03:26:43PM -0500, Charles Howse wrote:
> > > SO I did type mergemaster and all went well.
> > >
> > > Decided then to remove the temproot directory, but failed!
> > >
> > > # rm -rf /var/tmp/temproot
> > > rm: /var/tmp/temproot/var/empty: Operation not permitted
> > > rm: /var/tmp/temproot/var: Directory not empty
> > > rm: /var/tmp/temproot/: Directory not empty
> > >
> > > Took me a long while to figure out the
> > /var/tmp/temproot/var/empty direcoty
> > > has the schg flag set. Very, very confusing.
> > > Is there any reason why it is like that?
> > > If not, then do not create the empty directory with schg !!
> >
> > Because /var/empty should not be deleted.  Some programs use it.
> > I don't know about that particilar variation.
>
> I'm confused here, but that's nothing new...
> I'm running 4.8-RELEASE-p4.
>
> I can read what Jerry says, but does he mean that /var/empty should not
> be deleted, or that /var/tmp/temproot/var/empty should not be deleted?
>
> These two directories are completely different, and if I'm rebuilding
> from source for, say, the second time, then /var/tmp/temproot/var/empty
> might exist and definitly should be deleted, right?

/var/tmp/temproot/var/empty should be deleted by mergemaster along
with the rest of temproot.  There were some modifications a few months
back to enable it to deal with the .../var/empty directory --
essentially it just does a 'rm -rf' to get rid of as much as possible,
then a 'chflags -R 0' to de-flag the rest and 'rm -rf' again to finish
off the job.

Perhaps you have an older version of mergemaster before that
capability was added.  Anyhow, feel free to zap the contents of
/var/tmp/temproot manually.  Leave /var/empty alone, unless you've got
something against ssh(1) working properly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way