802.11g and FreeBSD based access point ...

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Sun Sep 14 12:20:47 PDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Friday,  5 September 2003 at 17:55:14 +0200, Hans Vledder wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I am considering building a 802.11g FreeBSD access point. I've read
> > that I will need a network adapter that supports hostap (access
> > point mode). Does anyone known a brand/model (PCI) that's being
> > supported by FreeBSD ?
>
> I don't have a direct answer to this question, but a bit of
> information:
>
> Last weekend I bought a couple of 802.11b/g wireless routers (AirLink,
> I think).  These boxes contain an access point, a four-port Ethernet
> switch and an additional downlink Ethernet port.  They're intended as
> cable or ADSL gateways, accessed by the downlink port.  You can
> configure the downlink port to access the other networks by NAT or
> directly, and you can run a mini-firewall if you want.  It can also
> function as a DHCP server.  These boxes cost me $80 at Fry's, the same
> price as a basic 802.11b access point.
>
> This weekend I went back to Fry's looking for Atheros-based wireless
> cards.  The cheapest I could find cost $100.
>
> Based on that, it's not clear why you would want to build an AP from a
> wireless card.
>
> Greg

	I think the reason is probably because the other reason to go all
Atheros is because it supports the SuperA/G as well which allows 108Mbps
raw data or 90Mbps active throughput and that's only possible with Atheros
but the routers so far that has Atheros are the D-Link DI-774 and the
Netgear FWAG114 and they are atleast $230 each.  For PCMCIA and Desktop
cards, the Netgear A+G or D-Link A+G has the Atheros inside.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin