dd to duplicate a disk.

Sebastian Ssmoller sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net
Sun Sep 14 10:17:55 PDT 2003

Am Son, 2003-09-14 um 16.31 schrieb Lewis Thompson:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup a vinum mirrored root fs.  I've not got very far
> (although I have some excellent help once I get past this stage ;) --
> I'm trying to duplicate my disk.

why do u want to double ur disk ? i have no knowledge about vinum yet
but some time ago i set up a mirror with linux which doubled the disks
automatically first time i add a new disk to the raid array ... guess
this would be similar with vinum (?)

>   Right now I have /dev/ad0s1(n) and I'd like an exactly copy of that
> slice on /dev/ad2s1.  I've been trying to use dd (which I know very
> little about):
>
> dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad2s1
>
> I don't know if that's the right way to go about it or not, but I get
> the error ``dd: /dev/ad2s1: Operation not permitted'', which leads me to
> believe I've messed something up.  I'm in single user when trying to do
> this and the /dev/ad0s1(n) partitions are mounted.

i am not sure whether u can move partitions/slices in this way. if u
really wonna double ur disk
dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2 is the command i would use (NOT TESTED!)

seb