dd to duplicate a disk.

Lewis Thompson purple at lewiz.net
Sun Sep 14 07:32:34 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a vinum mirrored root fs.  I've not got very far
(although I have some excellent help once I get past this stage ;) --
I'm trying to duplicate my disk.

  Right now I have /dev/ad0s1(n) and I'd like an exactly copy of that
slice on /dev/ad2s1.  I've been trying to use dd (which I know very
little about):

dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad2s1

I don't know if that's the right way to go about it or not, but I get
the error ``dd: /dev/ad2s1: Operation not permitted'', which leads me to
believe I've messed something up.  I'm in single user when trying to do
this and the /dev/ad0s1(n) partitions are mounted.

  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jab:lewiz at jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-