samba PDC vs IBM T21 keyboard

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sat Sep 13 19:25:07 PDT 2003

Hello,
       I've got a strange (to me at least) problem here.

I'm running samba (version: samba-2.2.8a) as a PDC on a network. I've
just joined an IBM T21 WinXP Pro laptop to the domain, which went
through okay, except for one unexpected factor:

The T21's keymapping appears to be all crazy. By that, I'd refer you to
keys U, I, O, P, J, K, L, : and M.

All of these keys have alternate chars printed on them - for instance
the "P" has "*" and "O" has a "6", and so on.

Whenever a user logs onto the domain, these "secondary" chars appear to
be the ones in use, and what you'd expect for "P" actually gets output
as the "*" char. This happens regardless of the user that logs in, as
long as its on the network, then those other chars appear to take
precedence. This behaviour appears in all applications as well, from M$
Word to attempts at typing a url into the address bar in IE.

If I didn't know any better, I'd almost want to suggest that the key
mapping appears to be that of a regular PS/2 keyboard!

Has anyone noticed anything like this? If there's any more info I can
provide, I'm willing to.

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

Stacey