FreeBSD 5.1 and a USB pen drive

Richard Dymond richard at myrmidon.freeuk.com
Sat Sep 13 02:26:22 PDT 2003

I've googled and Usenet-ed high and low for info on this, but to no
avail.

I've got one of those handy 256MB USB pen drives that I'd like to get
working with FreeBSD 5.1. As a long-time linux user I'm used to plugging
the device in, loading the usb-storage kernel module - which recognises
the device and slaps it on /dev/sda - and then issuing an appropriate
mount command.

I'm assuming the process with FreeBSD is similar, but I need some tips.
Specifically, what options/devices do I need to enable in the kernel? (I
thought I'd picked the relevant ones already - usb, ugen, umass, scbus,
da - but perhaps I'm missing something.) And once I've plugged the USB
drive in, what commands do I need to run to get the device recognised,
and to mount the vfat filesystem thereon?

At the moment, all that happens when I plug the USB drive in is a big
fat nothing. No kernel log messages. Not even a flicker of the little
power light on the device.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Richard