Script doesn't complete via Cron

Alexander Haderer alexander.haderer at charite.de
Fri Sep 12 11:43:43 PDT 2003

At 14:26 12.09.2003 -0400, Gerard Samuel wrote:
>scp -q foo.zip server_name:
>rm -rf foo_dev foo.zip
>
>------
>
>Cron job ->
>------
># export, zip up and scp foo source to server_name
>17      14      *       *       *       /home/bar/bin/export-foo
>2>      /dev/null > /dev/null
>------
>
>When I execute the script by hand, it completes without any problems.
>When I let a cronjob handle it, it doesn't scp the zip file to the remote
>server.
>I don't get any errors in /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/messages
>Anyone has any ideas on how to fix this up?

We had a similar problem with scp if I remember right. The problem was the
remote server where a message was echoed during login with ssh (some echo
stuff in the .profile or something like this). It seemed to be that scp got
this echo-message too and then failed to operate. After removing the echo
commands everything worked fine.

Note: I may be wrong, its long time ago.

Alexander

Alexander Haderer                     Charite
                                       Campus Virchow-Klinikum
Tel.  +49 30 - 450 557 182            Strahlenklinik und Poliklinik
Fax.  +49 30 - 450 557 117            Sekr. Prof. Felix
Email alexander.haderer at charite.de    Augustenburger Platz 1
www   http://www.charite.de/rv/str/   13353 Berlin - Germany