Samba domain and guest users - security advice needed

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Fri Sep 12 07:42:59 PDT 2003

Hi,

I set up a FreeBSD/Samba server for our schools network and I
think we need some kind of guest accounts, because students who
don't visit one of our regular computer courses frequently
forget their usernames or passwords.

What would be the best way to achieve this? I could think of
three possibilities:
1) Set up local guest accounts on the workstations
2) Set up a number of guest accounts for the domain
3) Set up no guest accounts at all, but place a list of all
   student's usernames and passwords in every teachers home
   directory (and hope that they won't forget their data).

or ...?

Thanks for any advices and ideas.

Uli.