Software patents

Todd Stephens tbstep at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 03:22:28 PDT 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 06:05 am, Ruben de Groot wrote:

> I think he was talking about putting a protest on the freebsd
> website, like some linux distributions have done (eg
> http://www.debian.org) This would be free, wouldn't it ?

A large part of the reason of why I switched to FreeBSD from Linux was
the absence of the patent/license fanaticism you find in the Linux
community.  If this were a Linux mailing list, 3/4 of the messages
would be about the GPL and how MS is evil, while here we have nearly
all messages being oriented towards learning how to use and improve
FreeBSD.

I think the *BSD communities are comfortable enough in their positions
that they don't need to direct so much attention to themselves in that
way.

--
Todd Stephens