"Connection refused" when setting up cyrus-imapd

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 11 20:31:11 PDT 2003

I've been trying to set up cyrus-imapd-2.1.14 for a while now, and though I'm sure I'd got farther than this before, now I keep getting stuck.

I'm using FreeBSD 5.1. The port downloaded, compiled, and installed just fine, I customised imapd.conf and copied one of the sample files to cyrus.conf, made the appropriate directories, ran mkimap, put the appropriate entries in /etc/services, and followed the including directions for generating an OpenSSL certificate and key. For good measure, I sent a HUP signal to the inetd process, and then I ran /usr/local/cyrus/bin/master &

However, when I run imtest and point it to my localhost, it immediately gives me the following response:

connect: Connection refused
failure: Network initialization

Now, I know I'm a relative newbie to this business, and this particular situation has me completely mystified. At one point, I was able to connect but was having trouble with authentication. Now it seems like the imap(s) port just isn't there or something like that. I haven't yet installed any firewall software that I'm aware of - I was afraid to do so until I got the rest up and running.

Is there something I'm likely to have missed here?

On a related note, I noticed some discussion in the cyrus-imapd docs and config files about mbox versus Mailbox format. The latter seemed to be preferable, being able to rearrange with less worry; is there any way I can make it be the storage format?

-Brian Bobowski