user-ppp faster then pppd ?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Sep 11 17:48:04 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 01:37:59AM +0200, humbaba at gmx.net wrote:
> >The difference is too small to be meaningful.
>
> when you have 56k modem and ~4.5KB throughput 0.5KB can make a big
> difference
>
> >The change means that the second connection traveled over wires that were
> >slightly noisier, or slightly busier, or one of a hundred other
> >possibilities. The odds that there is a difference in connection speeds
> >caused by a difference between ppp and pppd lie somewhere between zero and
> >null.
>
> I tried it several times and got the same results, therefore it must be
> caused by the diffrence between ppp and pppd.

I don't know that there's much to it.  Since they're different
implementations, they may well perform differently.  For example, user
ppp has had a lot of work done on it over the years, whereas pppd has
essentially been an unmaintained orphan for the last 3-4 years.  Just
stick with whichever one works best for you.

Kris